Italian Bolognese Sauce
This handy, delicious recipe makes enough sauce for 8 or more people. Great to keep in the freezer for a quick spaghetti and meat sauce meal.
Recipe type: Pasta
- 3 Tbs. butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 lbs. ground chuck beef (or 1 lb. beef and ½ lbs. each pork and veal)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 (28-oz.) whole tomatoes and juices, crushed by hand
- 2 (6-oz.) tomato paste
- 1-2 Tbs. sugar
- 1 Tbs. fresh basil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbs. parsley
- 2 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- Heat butter in 1 large, heavy skillet or pot over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, celery
- and garlic, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are golden and softened, about 6 minutes.
- Add beef and cook, stirring occasionally and breaking up lumps until meat is fine and barely still pink, about several minutes.
- Stir in milk and simmer 10-15 minutes. Add wine and simmer another 10-15 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer about 3 hours on very low. Add salt, if needed.
- Add to cooked, drained, un-rinsed pasta, using 3 cups of sauce per one pound of pasta.
- If refrigerated overnight,it can be thinned slightly with more wine and reheated on very low.