Stir Fry Rice
I got this recipe in the 70s from a woman teaching my Chinese cooking class. It was her family's recipe. I usually parboil a carrot for 1-2 minutes and add small pieces for extra color.
- 6 Tbs. peanut oil for cooking divided
- 2 eggs beaten with a pinch of salt (optional)
- 2 Tbs. green onions chopped
- 1 tsp. fresh garlic finely chopped
- 6 cups cooked cold rice
- ½ cup small shrimp optional
- ½ cup ham diced
- ½ cup frozen green peas
- 1 Tbs. rice wine
- 1 Tbs. soy sauce
- 1 Tbs. sesame oil or less
- Pepper to taste
- Heat 2 tablespoons of peanut oil in wok. Stir fry eggs for 5 seconds (if using) and remove from wok. Heat 3 to 4 tablespoons oil in wok; add chopped green onions and garlic. Cook a few seconds.
- Add cold rice and stir fry for several minutes in hot wok. Do not overcrowd wok. Work in batches, if needed. Add shrimp, ham, peas, and rice wine; warm thoroughly.
- Return eggs to wok. Blend. Season with soy sauce, sesame oil, and pepper. Serves 6.