- 1 medium eggplant, or two small cut in 1/2" pieces
- 4 Tbs. olive oil divided
- 2 medium onions cut into 1/2" dice
- 4-6 garlic cloves chopped
- 1/2 bunch fresh basil, tied in bouquet with kitchen twine plus 6 chopped basil leaves
- pinch dried chile flakes
- 2 sweet peppers cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 3 medium summer squash cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 3 ripe tomatoes cut into 1/2-inch dice
- Salt to taste
- Toss eggplant cubes with teaspoon , or so, of salt. Set cubes in colander to drain for 20 minutes.
- Heat 2 Tbs. olive oil in heavy skillet. Pat eggplant dry, add to pan and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until golden. Add a bit more oil if needed. Remove eggplant when done and set aside.
- In same pot, pour in 2 more tablespoons olive oil. Add onions and cook for about 7 minutes, or till soft nd translucent. Add garlic, basil bouquet, dried chile flakes, and a bit more salt.
- Cook several minutes more adn stir in peppers. Cook for a few more minutes, then stir in summer squash. Cook for few more minutes, the stir in tomatoes.
- Cook 10 minutes longer, the stir in eggplant and cook 1-15 minutes more, until all vegetables are soft. Remove the bouquet of basil, pressing on it to extract all its flavor. Adjust seasoning with salt.
- Stir in chop0ped basil leaves and more extra virgin olive oil, to taste. Serve warm or cold.
- (Recipe of Chef Alice Water's from her 2007 cookbook "The Art of Simple Food,"