I've been making this old favorite for more than 40 years. It's fool proof and always a winner!
Recipe type: Pasta
- Meat Sauce
- l lb. sausage or ground beef
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 Tbs. basil (or several leaves of fresh)
- 1-1/2 tsp. salt (or less, to taste)
- 1 (16 oz.) can tomatoes
- 2 (6 oz) cans tomato paste
- Cheese Mixture
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups ricotta cheese or cream-style cottage cheese, or a mix
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbs. parsley
- 1 tsp. salt (or less, to taste)
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 1 lb. Mozzarella cheese
- 1 (10-oz.) pkg. lasagna noodles
- Brown meat; drain. Simmer with next five ingredients for 30 minutes.
- Beat eggs; add remaining ingredients, except Mozzarella and noodles.
- Layer in 13x9x2-inch dish in this order: ½ noodles; ½ cheese mixture; ½ Mozzarella; ½ meat. Repeat layers, ending with meat.
- Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 30 to 45 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Serves 8.