Cranberry Orange Nut Bread
Spread a slice of this moist, tangy bread with butter or orange marmalade for a tasty breakfast or snack treat. A colorful loaf also makes a perfect holiday gift.
Recipe type: Bread
- ⅓ cup orange juice
- 1 Tbs. grated orange zest from 1 large orange
- ⅔ cup buttermilk
- 6 Tbs. unsalted butter, melted, plus extra for greasing pan
- 1 large egg, beaten lightly
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. table salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- 1 ½ cups cranberries (about 6 ounces), chopped coarse
- ½ cup toasted pecans, chopped coarse
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Grease bottom of 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. Stir together orange juice, zest, buttermilk, butter, and egg in small bowl. Whisk together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in large bowl. Stir liquid ingredients into dry with rubber spatula until just moistened. Gently stir in cranberries and pecans. Do not over mix.
- Scrape batter into loaf pan and spread with rubber spatula into corners of pan. Bake 20 minutes, Reduce heat to 350 degrees; continue to bake until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center of loaf comes out clean, about 45 minutes longer. Cool in pan 10 minutes and transfer to wire rack. Let cool at least 1 hour before serving. Yields 9" loaf.