Pear Blackberry Cobbler
Instead of using only blackberries, try mixing in some raspberries and blueberries as well. Or replace the blackberries with sliced peaches.
- For the filling:
- 6 cups blackberries or a mix of seasonal berries
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
- Pinch of salt
- For the topping:
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 6 Tbs. (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted and
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat an oven to 375ºF. Lightly grease a 2-quart baking dish.
- To make the filling, in a bowl, gently toss the berries with the sugar, flour, lemon zest and salt until blended. Pour into the prepared baking dish.
- To make the topping, in a bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. In another bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk, butter and vanilla until well blended. Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and, using a rubber spatula, fold gently until the flour is moistened and the mixture forms a soft dough.
- Drop heaping spoonful's of the dough onto the fruit, spacing them evenly; the dough will not completely cover the fruit. Bake until the filling is bubbling, the topping is browned and a toothpick inserted into the topping comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature. Serves 8 to 10.
- Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Collection Series, Dessert