Mushroom on Toast Points
This splendid dish is especially good with wild mushroom.
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter more as needed
- 1 lb. thinly sliced portobello cremini or wild mushrooms
- 1 tsp. chopped thyme
- 2 small garlic cloves minced
- Salt and pepper
- Splash of sherry or Marsala wine
- ¼ cup crème fraîche
- 2 thick slices country bread for toasting
- 2 Tbs. chopped parsley
- Heat a wide skillet over high heat and add butter, swirling pan. When butter begins to sizzle, add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add thyme and garlic, and stir to coat. Season well with salt and pepper and continue to sauté for a minute more, then add sherry, if using. Add crème fraîche and let mixture simmer 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast bread slices until golden. Lightly butter them and place on individual warm plates.
- Spoon mushrooms and juices over toasted bread. Top with chopped parsley.