Green Beans & New Potatoes
This old, Southern recipe was a summer favorite when I was a kid.
- 5 slices bacon rough chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 lbs. fresh green beans washed, trimmed and snapped
- 2 lbs. small red new potatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth or all, or part, water
- 1 tsp. salt or to taste
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes if desired
- Cook bacon in large saucepan over medium heat until meat renders its fat and begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Add onion and continue to cook for additional 5 minutes. (I sometimes add a clove of garlic, chopped, along with the onion.)
- Add beans and potatoes and just enough of the broth, and/or water, to barely cover. Add seasonings. Cover and simmer for about 1 hour, or until vegetables are tender.
- Note: 4-5 cans of green beans can be substituted for fresh green beans. Do not use baking potatoes; they do not hold up as well.