Duck Fat Brussels Sprouts
This recipe will make ardent Brussels sprout eaters out of family and friends.
- 4 lbs. Brussels sprouts
- 2/3 cup melted duck fat
- 3 medium shallots thinly sliced
- 1 cup toasted pecans broken into pieces, optional
- 1 Tbs. orange or lemon zest
- kosher salt to taste
- fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 450.
- Slowly melt all of the duck fat, except for 2 tablespoons, in a saucepan. Remove outer leaves of the Brussels sprouts, keep the ones that do not have any blemishes.
- Cut off and throw out the bottom of each Brussels sprout, and cut them in half.
- Toss the brussels sprouts with the shallots and put into a roasting pan.
- Drizzle the melted duck fat over the top.
- Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.
- Roast for about 25 minutes until golden brown and caramelized.
- Gently stir the sprouts about 15 minutes into the roasting
- Remove from the oven.
- Toss with the orange or lemon zest.
- Stir in the pecans if you are using