Homemade applesauce is so easy to make and the perfect side dish for an everyday meal, company, or Thanksgiving.
Recipe type: Fruit
Cuisine: Side Dish
Serves: 3½ cups
- 4 lbs. apples (8-12 medium), Jonagold, Pink Lady,Jonathan, McIntosh, or Gala---or a mixture
- ¼ cup sugar, (I use less and sweeten at end, if needed.
- A pinch of table salt
- 1 cup water
- Core, quarter, and peel apples (or leave unpeeled for more flavor and color). Add apple, sugar, salt, and water to large, heavy-bottomed pot. Cover pot. (There should be about an inch of water in the bottom.)
- Bring apples to a boil, turn heat down slightly, and simmer 30 minutes or until fruit gets soft and thickened. (If you double recipe, it will take a while longer.)
- If apples were left unpeeled, run mixture through a food mill to remove skins. Add seasonings to taste, such as ¼ tsp cinnamon or a small sprinkle of fresh, grated nutmeg.