Pavé of Venison with Blueberry and Port Sauce
A quick and elegant sauce for venison or beef.
Recipe type: Wild Game
- 4 Tbs. sugar
- 1 Tbs. balsamic or sherry vinegar
- ⅔ cup dry red wine
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 2 Tbs. ruby port
- 4 venison tenderloins
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Sauce: Melt the sugar in a small saucepan over gentle heat, then bring to a boil to caramelize. When golden in color, pour in the vinegar mixed with the wine. Stir over gentle heat until lumps dissolve. Bring to a fierce boil and reduce by half.
- Add blueberries and simmer 5-6 minutes or until they begin to collapse and thicken the sauce. Remove from heat, sir in port wine and season with salt and pepper. Keep warm.
- Heat gas grill, griddle pan, or skillet until smoking hot. Rub the meat with olive oil , salt and pepper. Sear on the griddle for 2-3 minutes. Turn the heat to medium and cook another 2-3 minutes. turn over and cook another 3 minutes for rare. Cook 2-3 minutes longer for medium rare.
- Lift onto a plate, over loosely with foil and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- Serve venison with sauce. Serves 4.