Farfalle with Zucchini
- 12 oz. dried farfalle butterfly or fusilli pasta
- 1 cup fresh or frozen green peas
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large sweet or yellow onion thinly sliced
- 1 small garlic clove finely chopped
- 2 Tbs. chopped Italian parsley
- 2 medium zucchini cut into sticks 2″ by ¼”
- 2 Tbs. shredded fresh basil
- 1 Tbs. finely chopped fresh mint
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ½ cup grated Parmigiana and/or Pecorino Romano cheese
- ½ cup pine nuts toasted (optional)
- Bring a big pot of water to a boil, Add salt and pasta; cook according to package directions. Add peas 2 minutes before pasta is done. Drain well, reserving ½ cup cooking water.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until it softens and turns golden.
- Raise heat to medium-high and add garlic. Cook, stirring frequently so it doesn’t burn, for 1 minute, then stir in parsley and zucchini. Cook, stirring occasionally, 5 to 10 minutes or until zucchini are tender and lightly browned. Stir in basil and mint and season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove pan from heat.
- Add drained pasta and grated cheese to pan and mix well, adding a little pasta water if too dry. Sprinkle with pine nuts and serve immediately. Makes 4 servings.