Blackberry Farms Stew
This recipe is from the kitchen of Blackberry Farms. I use beef chuck, if venison is unavailable. This makes a lot of soup, so you might want to half the recipe.
- 4 lbs. venison or beef, medium diced chunks
- 2 Vidalia onions medium diced
- Apple cider vinegar dash
- Kosher salt
- 1-1/2 gallons chicken stock
- 4 cups carrots cut on diagonal
- 4 cups parsnips cut on diagonal
- 2 cups turnips. medium diced
- 2 cups rutabagas medium diced
- 8 Tbs. tomato paste
- ½ bottle red wine
- 3 cups gold hominy about 2 cans, drained
- In a very hot stock pot, add venison(or beef) chunks and sear till golden brown. Add vegetables and cook for 5 minutes. Spoon in tomato paste and continue cooking to caramelize the paste. Deglaze with red wine and cook to reduce the wine by 25%. Add stock along with a sachet of herbs (rosemary, thyme, sage, peppercorns, garlic, and parsley) tied in a small cheesecloth bundle. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and let simmer for 2 hours. Taste for seasoning and add more salt/pepper, as needed.
- Serve topped with a Potato Mousseline:
- Rub Yukon Gold potatoes with olive oil (Yukons are best for creaminess). Roast in oven until done. Remove skins. Pass potatoes through a food mill or ricer to puree. Add 2 sticks of butter, 1/4 cup heavy cream, and salt to taste. (I boiled the potatoes and used a hand mixer to mash.)
- Place stew in a bowl and top with the Potato Mousseline and a few bits of parsley for garnish.