This drink of India is essentially a mango smoothie, a colorful, refreshing summertime beverage the whole family will enjoy.
- 1 Alphonso or Honey mango very ripe or mango pulp (about 1 cup)
- 5 ice cubes
- 1/2 cup plain whole milk yogurt chilled
- Pinch of ground cardamon or to taste (optional)
- Splash of milk or water optional
- 1/2 tsp. light brown or regular sugar optional
- To peel the mango, cut away the fatter sides from the stone. Then cut cross-hatches in the flesh, turn inside out so the cubes stick out, and scope into a blender with a teaspoon. Cut the remaining fruit from the stone. Or buy frozen or canned fruit already cut up.
- Add ice cubes and whiz until finely chopped. Spoon in yogurt and cardamon, if using, and whiz until smooth. If too thick, add a little milk or water. Taste and add sugar. Pour into glass and serve with straw and sprig of mint.