Sun-Dried Tomato Risotto
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 whole large yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups Arborio rice uncooked
- 8 whole sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil drained and minced
- 1 cup dry white wine optional
- 7 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Fresh basil optional
- Heat broth (note: it’s important the broth be low-sodium) in a saucepan or in a microwave safe pitcher. Set aside. Heat butter and olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add dry rice. Stir to coat and cook for 3 minutes, stirring gently. Pour in wine. Stir and cook over medium-low heat until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add in minced sun-dried tomatoes and stir. Then begin adding broth, one cup at a time, stirring gently while the rice absorbs the liquid each time. Repeat this until the rice is done—it usually takes between 6 and 8 cups of broth.
- The rice should have a slight bite to it, but not be crunchy at all. Remove from heat, then stir in Parmesan and heavy cream, if using. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Serve as a main dish with a salad, or as a side dish with steak, chicken, or fish