This crunch "oven-fried" version is a bit healthier than the traditional deep fried okra. For even more flavor sub finely ground pecans for the Panko bread crumbs.
- 4 cups fresh cut okra
- 4 Tbs. cornmeal
- 6 Tbs. Italian-style Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 Tbs. grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs beaten
- 3-4 Tbs canola oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Combine the cornmeal, Panko, salt, pepper, and Parmesan cheese in a gallon-size Ziplock bag.
- In a separate bowl, gently toss the okra with the beaten eggs until evenly coated. Refrigerate for 5 minutes after coating.[
- Pour oil onto a rimmed baking sheet (15" x 10") and place in preheated oven for just a few minutes, being careful not to let it smoke.
- Add wet okra a little at a time to the bag and shake until coated. Add additional cornmeal and Panko breadcrumbs if needed. Add okra to hot baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until tender, turning okra halfway thru baking. For more golden brown, increase heat to broil and watch carefully, stirring as needed.