Mama Louisa’s Italian Cake
- 9 Tbs. unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbs. sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup fresh ricotta
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 Tbs. baking powder
- 1 apple peeled and grated (about 1 cup)
- Confectioners’ sugar for serving
- Heat oven to 400°. Butter and flour a 9- or 10-inch springform pan. (I used a 10″ pan.)
- Cream butter and sugar in a standing mixer until light and fluffy.
- On the lowest speed, add eggs one at a time.
- Slowly add flour, salt, ricotta, lemon zest, baking powder, and apple.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan, smooth top and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until cake is golden brown and sides start to pull away from pan.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Turn cake out of pan and cool completely on rack. Sift confectioners’ sugar over top or serve with your favorite seasonal fruit