- 6 Tbs. unsalted butter divided
- 3 lb. yellow squash sliced 1/4 inch thick (from 5 medium squash)
- 1 medium-size yellow onion chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 tsp. kosher salt divided
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 8-oz. container sour cream
- 4 oz. sharp Cheddar cheese shredded (about 1 cup)
- 2 oz. Swiss cheese shredded (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 2 sleeves round buttery crackers such as Ritz, coarsely crushed
- 1 oz. Parmesan cheese shredded (about 1/4 cup)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Melt 3 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet over medium-high. Add squash, onion, and 1 teaspoon of the salt; cook, stirring often, until center of squash is just tender and liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Transfer mixture to a colander set over a bowl. Drain 5 minutes; discard any liquid.
- Stir together eggs, sour cream, Cheddar and Swiss cheeses, mayonnaise, thyme, pepper, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Gently fold in squash mixture. Spoon into a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch (2-quart) baking dish.
- Microwave remaining 3 tablespoons butter in a medium-size microwavable bowl on HIGH until melted, about 25 seconds. Toss together crackers, Parmesan cheese, and melted butter until combined; sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- (From Southern Living)