- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 3/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 3/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 lb. fresh okra trimmed and cut into 1/2" slices
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 4 cups vegetable or peanut oil
- Line platter or baking sheet with paper towels and place near stove.
- Have two large, rimmed baking sheets ready. In shallow dish, whisk cornmeal, flour, salt, garlic powder, black pepper and cayenne. In large bowl, toss okra in buttermilk, covering all pieces. Roll okra pieces around in cornmeal mixture till completely covered.
- Transfer coated okra to baking sheet, shaking off any excess breading
- While coating okra, put oil into a large Dutch oven or other high-sided pot, allowing temperature to reach 350 degrees before lowering okra gently into pot, 10-12 pieces at a time. Cook until okra is golden brown and crispy, about 2 minutes, stirring and flipping almost constantly for even browning.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer okra to prepared platter or baking sheet. Season with Kosher salt. Serve with mayo or comeback sauce..