- 4 cups water
- 2 tsp. kosher salt divided
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 3 Tbs. olive oil or bacon fat
- 2 pounds ground pork or ground beef
- 1 lb. fresh chorizo sausage
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 2 jalapeños finely chopped (I use just one)
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels may sub frozen
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbs. chili powder
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a 3-quart saucepan, bring the water to a boil and add 1 teaspoon of salt.
- While whisking, slowly add the cornmeal and continue whisking until the mixture is smooth. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook until the mixture is thick, about 30 minutes. (I found it didn’t take near that long.)
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
- Heat the oil in a 12- to 14-inch sauté pan and add the pork, chorizo, onion and garlic. Cook until the meat is browned and the onions are soft, about 8 minutes.
- Add the jalapeños, corn, tomatoes, chili powder, black pepper and remaining 1 teaspoon of salt. Mix well and set aside.
- When the cornmeal mixture is ready, spread the meat evenly in the baking dish.
- Spread the cornmeal mixture evenly over the meat. Top with the shredded cheese. Bake for 45 minutes, until the crust is set and nicely brown.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 15 minutes before cutting and serving. It’ll be even better the next day.