Tomato Salad with Shallot Vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 large ripe beefsteak or heirloom tomatoes cut into 1/2″ slices
- 2 Tbs. rinsed salt-packed caper optional
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 10 fresh medium basil leaves torn into approx. 1/2″ pieces
- Combine shallots, vinegar, 1/2 tsp. salt, and sugar in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in oil to blend. Set vinaigrette aside. Arrange tomatoes on a large platter. Sprinkle capers over (if using); season with salt and pepper. Scatter basil on top. Whisk vinaigrette again; drizzle over salad. Adapted from Bon Appetit.