David Lebovitz's French Vinaigrette
- • 1/8 tsp. sea salt
- • 1 Tbs. sherry or red wine vinegar
- • 1/2 small shallot peeled and minced (about 1 Tbs.)
- • 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- • 3-4 Tbs. olive oil
- • fresh herbs if desired
- In a small bowl, mix together the salt, vinegar, and shallot. Let stand for about ten minutes.
- Mix in the Dijon mustard, then add 3 Tbs. olive oil. Stir well, then taste. If too sharp, add the additional olive oil and more salt, if necessary.
- If you wish to add fresh herbs, it’s best to chop and mix them in shortly before serving so they retain their flavor. Storage: This dressing will keep for about 8 hours at room temperature. If you want to make it ahead, add the shallots closer to serving so they don’t lose their verve.