Fourth of July Trifle
Even more elegant when served in a trifle bowl.
- 1 angel food cake cut into cubes
- 3.4 oz. box instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 cups cold milk
- 8 oz. cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 8 oz. Cool Whip
- 2 pts. blueberries rinsed
- 2 pts. strawberries rinsed, hulled and sliced
- In a small bowl, combine the vanilla pudding mix with the milk and whisk for two minutes; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese on medium speed until smooth and creamy, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce the speed to low and gradually add the powdered sugar. Once all of the sugar is incorporated, increase the speed to medium and beat for 1 minute, or until thoroughly combined and smooth.
- Add the prepared pudding to the cream cheese mixture and gently fold and stir with a rubber spatula until completely combined. Add the Cool Whip to the bowl and fold it into the mixture until no white streaks remain.
- To assemble the trifle, alternate layers of angel food cake, blueberries, the pudding mixture, strawberries and so on, until you get the top. Add a final layer of the pudding mixture, then arrange the remaining strawberries and blueberries in a decorative pattern. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. This is best served within 24 hours of making it, but leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.