A classic potato salad that brings a feeling of home to any occasion.
- 5- lb. Yukon Gold potatoes
- 2 cups mayonnaise your favorite brand
- 1 cup sweet pickle relish
- 2 Tbs. yellow mustard or 1 part yellow + 1 part Dijon (optional)
- 1 Tbs. apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbs. celery seeds
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 4-5 hard boiled eggs peeled and chopped (optional)
- 3 celery stalks diced
- 1/2 cup sweet onion diced
- 1 Tbs. fresh chopped dill
- Salt and pepper
- Cut potatoes into quarters and place in a large pot. Fill pot with cold water until it covers potatoes by an inch. Bring pot to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, add 1 tablespoon salt and cook potatoes for 13-15 minutes, until fork tender.
- In a medium bowl mix mayonnaise, sweet pickle relish including juices, mustard, apple cider vinegar, celery seeds, paprika, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste. Stir until smooth. Chop eggs, celery, onions, and dill.
- Drain cooked potatoes and remove loose skins and chop potatoes into 1/2-inch chunks. It’s okay if they are soft and crumbly. Place potatoes in a large bowl. Gently mix in dressing until it coats the potatoes well. Stir in eggs, celery, onions, and dill. Salt and pepper, as needed. Garnish with fresh dill and paprika.
- Cover potato salad and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. If you have time to make it ahead, it tastes even better on day two!
- Don’t Forget
- Russet potatoes make for a creamier mixture because of their mealy, starchy texture. Yukons instill a buttery taste, while red potatoes hold their shape and are less creamy. Your choice.
- Start potatoes in cold, salted water and bring to a boil, cooking until they can be pierced easily with a knife.