Chocolate-Covered Orange Rinds
- 2 large oranges
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 oz. dark chocolate 70% cocoa content
- Wash the oranges thoroughly under running hot water.
- Cut the top and bottom off. Make 4 or 5 vertical incisions running all the way from top to bottom of the peel and into the flesh.
- With your hands, remove the peel carefully. Cut each piece into thin strips and transfer them into a pot. Pour over about 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes, then drain. Pour fresh water (2 cups) in the same pot and add the peels in. Repeat the same process. This will remove some of the peel’s bitterness.
- In small sauce pan, dissolve 1 cup sugar in 1 cup water, add the peels and simmer for about 45 minutes or until the peels are translucent.
- When done, spread them out on a wire rack so the syrup can drip off and the peels can cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate over a pot of simmering water. Dip the peel in chocolate and using a fork, transfer it onto a baking parchment or aluminum foil. Let them set completely in the fridge (for about an hour) before serving/enjoying them.
- Kitchen Notese
- Count one orange per person if you want to give this as a gift.
- These keep in the fridge for at least a week.
- You will get about 30 strips out of 1 large orange.
- Optional: Sprinkle the chocolate covered peels with salt.