Tomato Sauce with Garlic and Basil
This is Italian cookbook writer Marcella Hazan's simple but, oh, so delicious tomato sauce.
- 1 large bunch fresh basil
- 2 lbs. ripe tomatoes blanched: plunge in boiling water for a minute or less. Drain, cool, skin and chop
- 5 cloves garlic chopped
- 5 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb. pasta
- Tear the cleaned basil into small pieces.
- Put tomatoes, garlic, oil, salt and several grindings of pepper into a saucepan, and turn to medium high. Cook for 20 – 25 min. or until the oil floats free from the tomato. Correct for salt.
- Turn off the heat as soon as the sauce is done, mix in the torn up basil, keeping aside a few pieces to add when tossing the pasta.
- Kitchen Note: I used just a bit less garlic, basil, and olive oil than Hazan. The amount of garlic may seem excessive, but she claims that because the garlic is poached in the sauce, the flavor is less intense.