Tomato jam is hard to find in the grocery, but easy to make. It's great spread on toast, a BLT, grilled Cheddar cheese, or as a replacement for ketchup on a juicy burger. Smear on a cracker with creamy goat cheese for a quick appetizer.
- 2 lbs. Roma tomatoes
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- Halve the tomatoes and using a small spoon scrape out and discard the cores and seeds. Dice into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Add the tomatoes to a medium saucepan along with onion, brown sugar, lemon juice, salt, smoked paprika, pepper and cumin. Cook, stirring frequently until the liquid releases and comes to a boil, 5-7 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer 1-1/2 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally, until you can scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon and the the jam doesn't run back.
- Remove from heat, taste and add more sugar or paprika, if desired. Let cool completely.