Sweet Potatoes with Bourbon
Even you sweet potato haters will love this perfect Thanksgiving side dish.
- 3 1/2 lbs. sweet potatoes pricked with fork (10-12 potatoes)
- 6 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 3-4 Tbs. dark brown sugar or to taste
- 1 1/2 Tbs. bourbon or orange juice
- 3/4 tsp. lemon zest
- 3/4 tsp. kosher salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp. finely grated nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Pinch of ground cloves
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Wrap potatoes in foil, place on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until tender, about 1 hour. Let rest until cool enough to handle, but still warm, then remove foil and peel off skins.
- Add sweet potatoes to a food processor,k along with butter, brown sugar, bourbon or juice, lemon zest, salt, nutmeg, pepper and cloves. Puree until smooth. (Ir fir a chunkier texture, mash them by hand.) Taste and add salt, sugar or both if you like. Serve while still warm or reheat before serving.
- Serves 10-12. This recipe can be made ahead and refrigerated. Reheat just before serving, either in the microwave or a pot on stove over low heat.