Swedish Visiting Cake
- 1 cup sugar (plus a bit more for sprinkling on top before baking)
- grated zest of one lemon
- 2 eggs
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ½ tsp. almond extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1 stick melted butter, cooled
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- In a medium bowl, add the lemon zest to the sugar. Rub the zest and sugar in between your fingers to release the oils, the sugar will start to smell delicious.
- Whisk in the eggs one at a time.
- Whisk in the salt and the extracts.
- Change to a spatula and stir in the flour.
- Fold in the melted and cooled butter.
- Stir until combined. Use 9-inch cast iron skillet or 9-inch cake pan. Use a little of the melted butter to grease the pan.
- Pour the batter into the pan and top with the sliced almonds and a sprinkling of sugar.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes. It will be golden and the edges will have a nice crust.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for about 5 minutes and then take a knife and run it around the edge of the pan to remove. Or serve from pan.