A Southern favorite for years. Especially good for Thanksgiving.
- 1 1/2 lbs. yellow squash
- 1 lb. zucchini
- 1 small sweet onion chopped
- 1-1/2 tsp. salt divided
- 1 cup carrots grated
- 1 10 3/4 oz. can cream of chicken soup
- 1 8 oz container sour cream
- 1 8 oz can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 1 8 oz. package of Pepperidge Farm dressing Herb or Cornbread
- 1/2 cup butter
- Preheat over to 350 degrees. Cut squash and zucchini into 1/4-inch slices, and place in a Dutch oven. Add chopped onion, 2 tsp salt and water to cover. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook 5 minutes. Drain well.
- (Alternatively micro wave squash, only and salt cover with plastic wrap for 3 minutes.Stir and microwave another 3 minutes. Drain well.)
- Stir together grated carrots, and next 3 ingredients and remaining 1/2 tsp. salt in a large bowl. Fold in squash mixture. Stir together stuffing and 1/2 cup melted butter and spoon half of stuffing mixture into bottom of a lightly greased 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Spoon squash mixture over stuffing mixture and top with remaining stuffing mixture.l
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown, shielding with foil after 20 to 25 minutes to prevent excessive browning. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.