Here's my mother's recipe for this old Virginia favorite. At Thanksgiving, it was always the last dish out of the oven and a signal to gather around the table.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 cups milk divided
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil or butter
- 3 eggs separated.
- Combine cornmeal and 2 cups ilk in a saucepan, stirring until blended. Cook over low heat until the consistency of mush, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add salt, baking powder, oil (or butter), and remaining 1 cup milk.
- Beat egg yolks well ands stir into warm mixture.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form and gently fold into cornmeal mixture.
- Spoon into a greased 2-quart casserole. Bake a 325 degrees for 1 hour. Serve hot with butter. Yields 6 servings.