These ingredients add a splash of color and flavor to this simple, but elegant side dish.
- 2 lbs. peeled carrots thinly sliced
- 4 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 4 Tbs. dried cranberries
- 3 Tbs. pine nuts
- 9 medium basil leaves cut in julienne strips
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray two large roasting pans with nonstick olive oil spray and arrange carrots in a single layer on pans, mixing with 2 Tbs. of oil. Bake carrots for 30-40 minutes, turning occasionally.
- When they become soft and start to brown, remove and let cool.
- In a bowl, mix carrots with cranberries, pine nuts, basil and remaining 2 Tbs. olive oil and refrigerate overnight. To serve, let return to room temperature.
- Kitchen Note: The easy way to julienne basil is to stack several leaves one atop the other, roll up like a cigarette, and slice crosswise into strips.