Shredded Brussels Sprouts
- 2 Tbs. cider vinegar
- 1 Tbs. brown sugar
- 1 Tbs. canola oil
- 4 slices thick cut bacon or ham
- 1 Granny apples diced or slivered
- 1 lb. Brussels sprouts trimmed and shredded
- 2-3 scallions chopped or red onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- Dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup toasted chopped nuts--peanuts or almonds
- Kosher salt to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar sugar and oil; set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon, crumble into pieces and set aside. Pour of all but 2 tablespoons of drippings in pan (if there's not enough drippings to equal 2 tablespoons, add a little butter or oil.
- Heat drippings over medium-high heat. Add onions, garlic, apples and cook 5 minutes. Add vinegar/sugar mixture and scrape pan to include brown bits.
- Add shredded Brussels sprouts and cook, stirring constantly for 5 minutes or just until tender. Remove from heat and stir in bacon, nuts, seasonings and dried cranberries.