This is a dish that goes with every day fare or the Easter Sunday ham. This old favorite is delicious and easy to make ahead for a group.
- 4 large Russet or Yukon Gold potatoes sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half and half cream
- 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350º. Spray 9x13 casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside. Place potato slices in a bowl of cold water to keep from turning brown while making cream sauce.
- Melt butter over medium heat in a small saucepan. Saute onions and garlic until golden.
- Whisk in flour until well-combined, then whisk in milk, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and 1 cup of Gruyere cheese. Reduce heat to simmer and continue to whisk until sauce simmers slightly around the edges and has thickened slightly. Stir in Cheddar cheese.
- Arrange potato slices in casserole dish and then pour cream sauce over potato slices.
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour.
- Serve warm.
- To Make Ahead: Make scalloped potatoes as directed. Allow to cool, cover tightly with foil and refrigerate for up to 3 days. When ready to serve, bake covered with the foil, at 350º F until heated throughout, about 30 minutes.