Root Vegetable Soup
I served this delightful vegetable soup often for luncheons at the Missouri Governor's Mansion.
- 4 Tbs. butter
- 3 large carrots chopped
- 1 1/2 cups leeks white portion only, sliced
- 1/2 cup medium onion chopped
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 3 medium turnips peeled and chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- fresh parsley
- bread croutons
- bacon bits
- Melt butter in heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add carrots, leeks, onions, thyme, and bay leaves. Cover and cook until onions and leeks are translucent, stirring occasionally, about 12 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and turnips. Return cover and simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 35 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Mixture can be chilled at this pint, if making ahead.
- Puree soup in batches in blender. Return to same saucepan and simmer, thinning with more broth, if desired. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls. Garnish with parsley, croutons and/or bacon bits. Serves 8.
Leave a Reply