Roasted Broccoli with Parmesan and Pine Nuts
This recipe is one of the favorites in Ina Garten's cookbook, Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics.. Even kids eat their broccoli when it's prepared like this.
- 4 to 5 lbs. broccoli
- 4 garlic cloves peeled and thinly sliced
- Olive oil
- 1 ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 2 Tbs. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 Tbs. pine nuts toasted
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbs. fresh basil leaves julienned (about 12 leaves)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut the broccoli florets from the thick stalks, leaving an inch or two of stalk attached to the florets, discarding the rest of the stalks. Cut the larger pieces through the base of the head with a small knife, pulling the florets apart. You should have about 8 cups of florets.
- Place the broccoli florets on a sheet pan large enough to hold them in a single layer. Toss the garlic on the broccoli and drizzle with 5 Tbs. olive oil. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes, until crisp-tender and the tips of some of the florets are browned.
- Remove the broccoli from the oven and immediately toss with 1 1/2 Tbs. olive oil, the lemon zest, lemon juice, pine nuts, Parmesan, and basil. Serve hot.