Roast Beef with Vegetables
- 1 12-oz. bottle dark beer (or cola drink)
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 8 garlic cloves minced
- 1 lemon thinly sliced
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 3 Tbs. vegetable oil divided
- 1 3- to 4-lb. boneless chuck roast, trimmed
- 1 tsp. fresh coarsely ground pepper
- 8 carrots about 1 1/2 lb., diagonally sliced
- 7 Yukon gold potatoes 3 lb., peeled and cut into eighths
- 2 large onions cut into eighths
- Combine beer, next 4 ingredients, and 2 Tbsp. oil in a large zip-top plastic freezer bag. Add roast, turning to coat. Seal and chill at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours. Remove roast from marinade, reserving marinade. Sprinkle roast evenly with pepper.
- Brown roast 4 minutes on each side in remaining 1 Tbsp. hot oil in a large heavy-duty roasting pan over medium-high heat. Add reserved marinade, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of pan. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat, and cover with heavy-duty aluminum foil.
- Bake at 300° for 2 1/2 hours. Turn roast, and stir in carrots, potatoes, and onions. Bake 2 more hours or until roast and vegetables are tender. Transfer roast and vegetables to a serving platter. Skim fat from juices in roasting pan.
- Whisk together cornstarch and 1/2 cup water in a small bowl until smooth. Whisk cornstarch mixture into juices in pan; cook over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until thickened, whisking to loosen particles.
- Drizzle 1/2 cup gravy over roast. Serve remaining gravy with meat and veggies. Serves 6-8.