Pork Chops & Onions á la Sam Sifton
I have improvised on Sam Sifton's "No Recipe Recipes," which he encourages to develop confidence in the kitchen.
- 2-4 pork chops
- Oil and/or bacon grease
- 1 cup flour
- ½ tsp. smoked paprika
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large onion
- 2 Tbs. butter
- ½ cup chicken broth more if needed
- 1 bay leaf
- Dredge each chop in a flour mixture that includes a sprinkle of salt/pepper, smoked paprika, chili powder, and red pepper flakes. Fry chops in oil and/or bacon grease until crusty.
- Remove chops from skillet and set aside. Wipe pan and add butter and lots of sliced onion. Cook until almost brown. Add a few tablespoons of flour and brown a bit before adding a ½ cup, or so, of chicken broth and a bay leaf. Put chops in a baking dish, top with onion mixture. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Sifton suggests serving the chops with potatoes mashed with warm milk, salt/pepper, melted butter, and a teaspoon, or so of grated lemon rind. I’ve not tried this potato treatment, but it sounds zesty.
- Adapted from Sam Sifton's "No Recipe Recipes."