Orecchiette with Sausage and Broccoli
This quick and flavorful dish is always a welcome treat at my house. Recipe is adapted from Lidia's Italian Table by Lidia Bastianich.
Recipe type: Pasta
- 1 lb. orecchiette
- 5 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 lb. spicy Italian sausage
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 lbs. broccoli florets
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 3 Tbs. unsalted butter
- ½ cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan
- Bread crumbs
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the orecchiette and cook according to package directions.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 Tbs. of the olive oil over medium high heat. Crumble sausage into the skillet and cook, breaking apart with a spoon, until lightly browned, 5-6 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add garlic; cook for 1 minute more.
- Add the remaining 4 Tbs. olive oil, chicken broth, broccoli, salt and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring frequently and scraping the bottom of the pan to release the flavorful brown bits, until the broccoli is tender-crisp, 3-4 minutes. Stir in the butter and simmer for a few minutes to reduce and concentrate the sauce.
- Drain pasta well and add to sausage/broccoli mixture. Toss to blend. Add half the grated cheese and stir until the cheese is melted. Taste and adjust seasoning. Transfer to serving platter or individual bowls and sprinkle with rest of grated cheese and bread crumbs. Serves 4-6.