Pan con Tomate (Grilled Bread with Tomato)
- 2 large ripe beefsteak tomatoes
- Kosher salt
- 1 loaf ciabatta split in half horizontally lengthwise, cut crosswise into 1 1/2-inch slices
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium cloves garlic split in half
- Flaky sea salt such as Maldon or fleur de sel
- Split tomatoes in half horizontally. Place a box grater into a large bowl. Rub the cut faces of the tomatoes over the large holes of the box grater, using the flattened palm of your hand to move the tomatoes back and forth. The flesh should be grated off, while the skin.
- Adjust rack to 4 inches below broiler and preheat broiler to high. Place bread, cut side up, on a cutting board and drizzle with olive oil. Season with kosher salt. Place bread, cut side up, on a rack set in a tray or directly on the broiler rack and broil until crisp and starting to char around the edges, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove bread from oven and rub with the split garlic cloves. Spoon tomato mixture over bread. Drizzle with more extra-virgin olive oil and season with flaky sea salt. Serve immediately.