This old recipe adapts well to various toppings. This one includes the basic cake that can be decorated with berries if desired. An alternate version with a caramel-pecan topping is also included.
- 1 5-1/3 oz. package graham crackers
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 8 Tbs. unsalted butter melted
- 3 8 oz packages cream cheese, cut into 8 pieces
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Tbs. vanilla
- Cream Cheese Layer
- 1 pint sour cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Fruit Topping
- Fresh fruit such as blueberries strawberries, or peaches or a combination.
- Alternate Caramel-Pecan Topping use instead of fruit topping, if desired
- 1/4 cup milk
- 35 Kraft Caramel candy pieces
- FOR CRUST: Break the crackers in 4 pieces. Using food processor, turn the crackers into fine crumbs. Add sugar and process a few second until combined. With the processor running, add melted butter and blend till crumbs and butter are absorbed. Scrape sides and process 5 seconds longer. Line the bottom of a 10" spring-form pan with the crumb mixture and pack down firmly.
- FOR CAKE: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Process 1 package of cream cheese and one egg until combined. Repeat twice more, processing for 15 second after each addition. Add the remaining egg (the 4th one) along with the sugar and vanilla. Process until mixed. Scrape sides and process another 5-10 seconds, making sure no lumps remain in the batter. Pour over crust and spread evenly. Bake for 50 minutes.
- FOR SOUR CREAM LAYER: Process the sour cream, vanilla and sugar until thoroughly combined. When cake is done, remove it from oven and spread on topping. Return to oven for an additional 10 minutes. Cool on wire cake rack, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Before serving remove sides of pan and decorate with a topping of fruit, such as blueberries, strawberries, or peaches.
- FOR ALTERNATE CARAMEL-PECAN TOPPING: Microwave milk and candy pieces on high, stopping to stir every half minute until melted. Spread pecans on half the cake and caramel on other half. Or arrange in a design of your own.