This old-fashioned recipe has been a family favorite for more than a century. I've never had one better.
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 1 lb. ground pork or part veal
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 1/2 cup carrot grated (optional)
- 1/2 cup green pepper diced, (optional)
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 cup catsup
- 2 Tbs. prepared mustard
- 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup bread soaked in milk or water briefly, squeezed, and mushed
- For more flavor, you can saute the onion, garlic, carrot, and green pepper before adding it to the meatloaf mixture. Shape into two loaves. Spread with catsup, barbecue sauce or topping shown below. Spread on loaves before or halfway through cooking time.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes. Check for doneness. Let set before slicing.
- Topping:Combine 4 Tbs. apple cider vinegar; 2-4 Tbs. brown sugar; 1/2 cup catsup and mix well