Mansion Dinner Rolls
Easy, fool proof rolls served by First Lady Jean Carnahan at Missouri Governor's Mansion.
- 2 pkgs. yeast 2-1/2 tsp. yeast
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbs. warm water (110 degree to 115 degrees)
- 1/2 cup sugar plus 2 Tbs. sugar, divided
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter melted
- 3 eggs beaten
- 5 cups flour
- Dissolve yeast and 2 Tbs. sugar in water. Let yeast activate. Add remaining sugar, butter, salt and eggs; mix until eggs are well beaten.
- Add 2 cups flour, mixing well. Stir in another 3 cups flour.
- Turn out on lightly floured board and knead one minute.
- Place dough in greased bowl. Cover and let rise in warm place for 2 hours.
- Punch down; let rise again until double.
- Roll out dough and cut in desired size. Let rolls rise in pan for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10-15 minutes. May be frozen after baking, thawed and rewarmed.
- Makes 4 doz. small rolls. May be frozen after baking; thawed and rewarmed.