Grilled Cheese a là Ruth Reichle
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ lb. cheddar cheese divided
- Onions mixture of shallots, leeks, scallions, any colored onion
- 2 slices thickly sliced sturdy sourdough bread
- Grate that expensive cheddar, reserving a portion of cheese to go on the outside of the sandwich. What the . . . you say? Stick with me here. . . .
- Chop the onion assortment finely into a small heap. Add a minced clove of garlic. Grate a few generous handfuls of the best cheddar you can afford. Set a little aside, and gently combine the rest with the onion mixture.
- Butter one side of thickly sliced bread and heap as much of the mixture as possible between the slices (butter facing in). Spread a thin layer of mayo on the outside of the bread (this will keep it from scorching on the griddle much better than butter).
- Press the reserved grated cheese to the outside of the bread, where it will create a wonderfully crisp and shaggy crust.
- For less mess, apply the mayo and cheese first on one side only, lay that side on the griddle, then quickly do the remaining top side while the bottom is sizzling.
- Fry on a heated nonstick griddle, or in a nonstick skillet, about 4 minutes a side, until the cheese is melted.