German Potato Salad
This skins-on (well, partially on) recipe uses a warm vinaigrette rather than mayo.
- 3 lbs. new red potatoes
- 1 yellow onion quartered
- 1/2 lb. bacon diced
- 1 large red onion diced
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 Tbs. Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup canola oil or olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 8 green onions thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Place potatoes in a large pot with the yellow onion and cover with cold water. Cook until tender. Drain, discard the onion, and cut the potatoes into cubes, when cool enough to handle. Place the potatoes in a large bowl and cover to keep warm. Keep some of the skins on, if desired.
- In a large saute pan, add the bacon and cook until crisp. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Add the red onion to the rendered bacon fat and cook until soft, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Carefully add the vinegar, mustard and sugar and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Whisk in the oil and season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Add the hot dressing to the potatoes and toss gently to coat. Fold in the green onions and parsley. Season again with salt and pepper, to taste.