Garlic Mashed Potatoes
So creamy and decadent and perfect for the holidays.
- 7-8 lbs. Yukon and/or Russet potatoes
- 1 whole bulb garlic unpeeled
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups half and half warm, (or part whole milk)
- 1 3/4 sticks butter
- 1 tsp. or more salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 8- oz. pkg. cream cheese or Boursin cheese
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1" chunks and boil in salted water about 25 minutes. Drain.
- Slice 1/2 inch off the top of an entire head of garlic and place in a custard cup to bake. Drizzle with olive oil and cover with aluminum foil and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20 minutes or until tender. Cool. Squeeze out pulp and mash.
- Mash potatoes using ricer or potato masher. Add garlic, salt and pepper. Do not use food processor or potatoes will be pasty.
- Heat butter and half and half (or milk). Add to potatoes when butter is melted and cream is hot. Taste and adjust seasonings.