Garlic Cheese Grits
This is a Southern delicacy that even non-grits lovers will enjoy.
Recipe type: Southern Food
- 1 cup grits
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 8-oz. sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- ⅛ tsp. garlic powder
- 8 Tbs. margarine (1 stick)
- 2 eggs
- Buttered bread crumbs or Pepperidge Farm stuffing mix
- Cook grits in boiling, salted water, or according to package directions for 1 cup grits. Add grated cheese, garlic powder, and margarine.
- Beat eggs and place in 1 cup measure; pour in enough milk to make 1 cup.
- Stir egg-milk mixture into cooked grits. Pour into an oblong, buttered baking dish.
- Cover with buttered bread crumbs or sprinkle with crumbled Pepperidge Farm stuffing mix.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.