Fresh Homemade Pasta
Make oodles of noodles with this tender, silky, yellow-hued pasta recipe. An entertaining kitchen event for both kids and adults. Doubles easily.
Recipe type: Pasta
- 15 oz. (3-1/2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 5 oz.(1 cup) Semolina flour
- 1 ½ tsp. salt
- 5 whole eggs
- Combine the flour and salt. Make a well in the center of the flour and add eggs. Gently begin to mix eggs, gradually drawing in flour with each stroke until a stiff dough forms.
- Knead dough for 8-10 minutes. If dough is too dry add ½ tsp. water. If too sticky, sprink in a bit more flour. Dough will be much stiffer than bread dough. Work till dough is smooth, pliable and satiny.
- Divide the well-kneaded dough into four portions. Cover each tightly with plastic wrap and let rest for about one hour. (important step for elasticity and rolling of dough).
- Using a rolling pin, flatten rounds to quarter-inch thickness no wider than the pasta machine. Put dough through pasta maker at thickest setting.
- Let dough rest another 15 minutes. Then run through machine 2-3 more times at progressively smaller settings.
- Between each pass, fold the strips into thirds to help square up the edges.
- Finally, run dough through the cutting side of the machine to form the size noodles desired.
- Cook immediately in salted boiling water for 3-5 minutes. Or sprinkle with Semolina and hang to dry for storage or freezer (Don't store in a clump). Cook frozen noodles for 8 minutes in salted water.