- 1 cup, plus 2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 8 large eggs
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 2 Tbs chopped fresh thyme
- 2 Tbs. minced chives, parsley or tarragon
- 6 Tbs. unsalted butter
- ¾ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Gruyère
- Flaky sea salt, for garnish
- Sriracha, for serving (optional)
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt and pepper. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Whisk wet ingredients into dry until just combined. Stir in thyme and the other herbs.
- Melt the butter in a heavy 12-inch ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Let it cook until it smells nutty and browns, about 5 to 7 minutes, then swirl skillet so that butter coats bottom of pan.
- Pour batter into pan and scatter cheese and flaky salt over the top. Bake until puffed and golden, about 25 minutes. Serve with sriracha and lemon wedges on the side.
- (Recipe from Melissa Clark, NYT)