Curried Chickpea Salad
Serve with lettuce and chunks of ripe tomato on pita bread.
- Two15-ounce cans chickpeas garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium celery rib finely chopped
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped shallots
- 2 tsps. finely chopped fresh leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup vegan or standard mayonnaise
- 1 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Coarsely mash the chickpeas, celery, shallots and parsley together with a potato masher or large fork in a medium bowl. Be careful not to overdo it or the chickpeas will become mushy. Add mayo, vinegar, curry powder, and turmeric and mix well. Season to taste with the salt and pepper. I sometimes add a lemon squeeze and a few yellow raisins. (The salad can be covered and refrigerated for up to 3 days.)
- I sometimes add a squeeze of lemon and a few raisins.
- Serve as a salad, a dip with chips, or on pita topped with diced, ripe tomatoes and lettuce. (From the Oz Family Kitchen cookbook and slightly adapted by Food52)